RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHER’S MANUAL 19TH OF MAY 2019
TOPIC: HONOUR GOD WITH YOUR SUBSTANCE
SUNDAY SCHOOL HYMN
1. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
O how I love Thee well,
I am happy, it makes me glad
To rejoice at Thy birth.
2. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Thy friend friendship suits me well,
Both young and old will sing Thy song,
We long for Sunday School.
3. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Christ was Thy first teacher,
The Holy Spirit, great teacher,
Does manifest in thee.
4. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
This testimony is sure,
That God, the Father Almighty,
Poured His blessing on Thee.
5. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Though the sun be so bright,
Or if the clouds be black with rain,
I’ll be in Sunday School.
6. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
I rejoice to see Thee,
Will thou pass over me today?
Without my being blest?
Father, help me to honour you always with my substance.
BIBLE PASSAGE: Malachi 3:6-12
6. For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.
7. Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return?
8. Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
9. Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.
10. Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
11. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts.
12. And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.
“Honour the Lord with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase”. Prov. 3:9
Today’s study centers on an age long principle and practice applicable in all dispensations, including this. Also Read – Open Heavens 19 May 2019
As some try to infer, it was never instituted in the dispensation of law or terminated by the dispensation of grace. Without mincing words, it is expedient for all believers to honour God with their substances.
TEXT REVIEW: MALACHI 3:6-12
The Book of Malachi 3:10-12 contains seven fold blessings which are meant for believers who fulfill the conditionality.
These blessings are:
i. Opening of heavenly windows. Mal. 3:10
ii. Outpouring of abundant blessings. Mal. 3:10.
iii. Rebuking of devourers. Mal. 3:11.
iv. Preservations of the fruits of the ground. Mal. 3:11.
v. Prevention of barrenness, miscarriages or waste and death. Mal. 3:11.
vi. Becoming a blessing for all nations. Mal. 3:12.
vii. Becoming a land of delight. Mal. 3:12.
To attract these blessings however, there are requirements:
i. Don’t rob God. Mal. 3:9.
ii. Avoid divine curses. Mal. 3:9.
iii. Bring all the tithes to His house. Mal. 3:10.
OUTLINE 1: TITHES AND OFFERINGS
i. Tithe is one tenth of all income.
ii. Our Christian services include: praying, fasting, giving of alms, witnessing, paying of tithes etc.
iii. The Lord Jesus did not condemn payments of tithes rather cautioned the Pharisees not to do it at the expense of justice, mercy and faith. Matt. 23:23.
iv. Tithe is for the support of the work of the ministry and spreading of the gospel.
v. Abraham paid tithes. Gen. 14:18-20.
vi. Jacob vowed to pay his tithes. Gen. 28:20-22.
vii. Israelites were commanded to pay tithes. Deut. 12:6.
viii. Failure to pay tithe is robbery to God while paying it will attract blessings. Mal. 3:8-11.
i. Offerings are money from income which we give in the church for the progress of God’s work. Exodus 35:4-10.
ii. Offerings could be in form of free will offerings, love offerings, project offerings, thanksgiving offering, welfare offering, mission’s offering, etc.
iii. Acceptable offerings to God must be given regularly, cheerfully, willingly and bountifully. 2 Cor. 9:7; 8:2; 9:6; 8:3-4.
iv. Failure to give offering to God could be described as unrighteousness with stiff penalty. 1 Cor. 6:9.
CLASS ACTIVITY 1:
Why do you think some people are not paying tithes and offering?
LESSON OUTLINE 2: FIRST FRUITS
First fruits are in three (3) categories:
i. The first fruits of increase (Prov. 3:9-10): For example, increase in salary (the difference between the old and new salary).
ii. The first fruit sacrifice: This may imply the first salary received on assumption of a new job or the first round of gain made at the start of a new business. It may also be the salary or income at the turn of a new year. The sacrifice of Isaac is symbolic of first fruit sacrifice. Gen. 22:15-18. Also Read – Open Heaven 19 May 2019
iii. Redemption of the first male child (Exodus 13:13; Num. 18:15). The first child (especially male) belongs to God. You can redeem him with a price.
Dedicating first fruits to God is a way of thanking Him for providing the fruits.
CLASS ACTIVITY 2:
Why are some people not paying their first fruits?
Paying of tithes, offerings and first fruits are ways of blessings to believers.
Obedience does not only nourish the body of Christ but it is also a means of extending the kingdom of God on Earth. Therefore, honour God with your substances.
Explain tithes, offerings and first fruits.
Father, help us to be faithful in our services to you through tithes, offerings and first fruits.
Mention five (5) things which the church can do to make members pay their tithes, offerings and first fruits regularly.